Thursday, June 27, 2013

DIY and finding my style

I've entered a new phase of my life. I don't know if it is pinterest that started it...or if I am just sick of the hand-me-down stuff that we were given when we got married...but I am ready to restyle our house and my life. 

Most of my clothes are from my senior year of high school/freshman year of college...meaning they are 9-10 years old. I still wear three pairs of jeans from my junior year of high school. 

My sweet aunt found us couches, a TV stand, end tables, a kitchen table, and a dresser when we got married. But none of it matches...and all of it has moved four times and to Texas and back.

So, it really is time for me to update my style and our home decor. However, we are still students on a budget. So, I've been trying to make small improvements here and there. Below is my first attempt at re-doing furniture. 

I have done a lot of reading on milk paint, and decided to try it on this TV stand. I don't like this thing very much...so I decided that if I totally ruined it...it would be okay. With milk paint you aren't supposed to use a primer. So I did three coats of milk paint, and it looked AWEFUL! I absolutely hated it and you could still see the brown underneath. It was splotchy and very uneven. So, Clark and I got a can of white primer and painted over the milk paint. Then we got a can of Benjamin Moore Silver Mist...a light grey/blue...and painted one coat of it over the primer. Then we put new knobs on and antiqued the edges by using an electric sander and some antiquing wax. 

I really like how it turned out and definitely like it better than how it was before. It was a good learning project and I feel like I could redo something else much better now that I have done this project. 

I'm already looking online for couches and a rug that I like for our front room. We are going to do this when we move out in November when Clark's parents get home. Baby steps to a matching home:)




Before

After...terrible lighting...and I still need to work on some small decorations...but you get the idea.


5 comments:

Brenda said...

Looks great! When there is a will there is a way to accomplish something you really want to do. Good work! We love you guys!

Michele said...

Looks much better! I'm impressed you can still wear your jeans from high school, I bet mine wouldn't even fit anymore.

Matt and Paige Gray said...

My first thought with this was my mom is probably freaking out right now seeing that the painting tarp is down in her living room! I am laughing so hard right now. It turned out really cute maybe it will motivate me to redo mine.

Clark and Katie said...

Paige...I asked Don and Clark to move it into the garage for me...but they said it was too heavy and just put a tarp under it. Just so Brenda knows...I had about 6 other tarps covering every possible inch of carpet in the vicinity, and I only painted at night when the boys were asleep. The carpet is safe! haha, I didn't even think about that when I put that picture up!

Amber and Mike said...

It looks great!!! I am excited to see more of your projects :)