Saturday, September 14, 2013

James

James is 11-months old.

I have failed in recording when he did certain things...so just so I can remember here's a summary of James.

Got two bottom and two top teeth at 5-months old.

Didn't sit until 7-months-old.

Crawled at 8-months old.

Starting walking at 9.5 months old.

Now walks and runs all over the place.

James is fierce, intense and serious. 

He's like a baby bear cub. 

He LOVES Clark and follows him around everywhere when Clark is home.

He says "Dadda," "Baba" (Bottle), "Ba" (Ball)

He also loves lights on the ceiling and windows. He always points out the window and in a whispered little voice says "da-dis-da" (What is that). It is so cute. 

He knows what a cow says, and loves going out on the farm and looking for cows.

James is serious about food and can out-eat Kyson anyday, and me some days. He LOVES macaroni and cheese and will start crying and whining if he sees a box of it. He also LOVES tomatoes! The other day I was canning and I looked over and he had grabbed a whole tomato off the counter and was taking bites of it. He loves pancakes with jam on them. He also loves corn on the cob.

James started sleeping through the night at 5-months-old. He has woken up maybe two or three times during the night in the past 6-months. This makes a happy Mom and Dad!

James is not soft at all. He will whack at your face, grab my earrings/necklaces, stick his finger up my nose, etc. I feel like Kyson caught on the the "soft" idea so quickly...James could care less.

James ends up in the sink after most meals. I mop the floor multiple times each day. He is messy.







This is the tool I used to get James out of the bathroom. A couple days ago he went in the bathroom, and I was right on his tail...but he shut the door and pulled open the drawer before I could open the door. So...he was stuck in the bathroom, and I couldn't get to him because there was a drawer inside open. It was a waist high drawer, so I couldn't just reach under the door and flip it shut.

I ran outside and peeked in the window to make sure the toilet lid was closed and there was no water in the bathtub...which, thankfully, both were good. So I had a little time. The door nob doesn't have screws on the outside to take it off, and the doors hinges are internal. The window was shut. I started trying to put things under the door, but each time I would put something under, James would just grab it. It was bedtime, so he was onry, and he screamed the entire time he was locked in there.

I didn't know what to do. Clark was doing a 12-hour clinical and can't have his phone with him, so I couldn't get ahold of him. I ran out to the garage and shed to try to find something that would work, but everything I thought of was too heavy, and I was afraid I would whack James with it. I had tried for about 20 minutes, and I was starting to get frantic. Maybe I should just break the window...knock down the door?

I called the sheriff. He said he would come out and help me. But he was 30-minutes away. So, I told Kyson that we needed to pray for help to get James out. We knelt down and asked Heavenly Father to help us get our brother out of the bathroom.

Then we got back to work. I added more tape to this contraption and kept trying to push it under the door, flip it up and then get the right angle so it would push the drawer shut. James kept grabbing it.

So I started running outside and knocking on the bathroom window to get James away from the door. Once he was by the window I would sprint back inside and hurry and push my thing under the door and get it flipped up and I would start pushing the drawer until James came and grabbed it. Then I would run outside again and do the whole process again. 

After about 45-minutes the drawer finally pushed shut and I was able to get him out. Worst feeling ever...to have a screaming child, and not be able to help him. I called the sheriff and told him I didn't need him anymore. He was still 5-minutes from my house.

It must have been the prayer that did the trick...because when Clark got home he asked me to recreate the moment, and he went in the bathroom and shut the door and pulled the drawer out a little. I tried and tried to get that drawer shut again...and I couldn't. 

So...long story short...I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with James...I've already called the sheriff on him:)

We sure love James and love the spunk he brings into our lives!

3 comments:

Doutre Family said...

Oh my goodness! I cannot believe this!

Brenda said...

It is amazing what we can come up with if we have to! I do think prayers change the out come of a lot of things! We are glad things worked out O.K. Sorry about all the farm work it just keeps coming at you I guess we decided that if there was enough work for our children they wouldn't have any time to get into real trouble. Your boys are growing up so fast! WE can hardly wait to see them.
We love you!
Dad & Mom, Roy and Brenda Grandpa and Grandma

Amber and Mike said...

Katie, this is only the beginning! lol Second son syndrome is going to be a challenge, and you will always have something to talk about :)

I am so glad everything was okay, I have been in a similar situation!