Friday, May 29, 2009

The Lone Star State...






We made it down to Texas and finally have internet so we can post some pictures. Here are some of the more interesting points of our trip:

1. We left early Thursday morning from Centerville, Utah, and realized that our car insurance didn't cover us on moving equipment, we drove to the Uhaul place in Bountiful Utah to try to add insurance. We spent three hours trying to battle with Uhaul to give us insurance, finally feeling very frusterated, we got on the road because they were not helping us, but I got ahold of someone high up in the Uhaul world, and she had us stop in Ogden and get insurance. So by noon we had come a 1/2 hour from my house in Centerville.

2. We stayed in Denver the first night, and made it to Oklahoma city the second night, were we ate at a local BBQ place called "Van's pig stand" it was funny. The ribs were delicious, but it was a red neck place...there was a roll of paper towels on the table, no napkins in the whole joint!

3. Saturday we pulled into Arlington TX and checked into our apartment (for all of you who come to TX I would highly recommend a GPS, we have been using it to get EVERYWHERE!)The apartment smelled a little funny, but it had just been painted, and the man downstairs was smoking, so we thought it was okay.

4. We started moving in and my dad went to plug in a lamp and the outlet started shooting off sparks and then flames started coming out, we finally got it out, but it fried our lamp cord and outlet. By now the place was smelling a little worse, and I must say, I had a couple moments of fighting the tears back!

5. Church however was so fun, and our ward was so friendly. We felt so welcomed!

6. Tuesday the maintenance man came and cleaned our air vents and fixed the plug and things around the apartment were really looking up!

7. Tuesday night, weather forecast: gold ball hail coming our way. Luckily we only experienced penny size hail, our poor topsy turvey tomato may not make it.

8. I started work and the hospital is HUGE! Everything in Texas is HUGE! But it is a good hospital with great benefits, so I have no complaints. But I miss my old surgery girls!

9. That is all, the first weekend is coming up and were "fixin" to see some Texan sites! (We went to our first ward BBQ and the people told us to go get some fixins on our burgers...I've heard it a lot since then, so I'm going to start using that word!)

Thanks to Mom and Dad Wyatt who spent many, many hours helping us pack up and move and to Mom and Dad Williams for spending many, many hours driving down to Texas with us and getting us moved in! We have great parents!

9 comments:

Alicia and Roger said...

Hey! We have a roll of paper towels on our table! You sayin we're red necks!

Brenda said...

We are glad you guys are getting settled and making your cute little appartment nice and homey. You guys will do great! I admire your courage to leave and tackle all that your trying to do! We will miss having you close but are excited to come see some new parts of the world. I Love you Mom Brenda

The Wyatt's said...

Glad you guys made it and sounds like things are going fairly well. You've got to expect a few bumps right? That's crazy about the outlet. Are you sure it is fixed? I think I would be a little nervous to plug anything it! Don talked to Clark yesterday and he said you were at work. I'll have to give you a call sometime soon. We are hanging out in Arizona right now relaxing and loving the heat. I'm glad you like your ward. Sounds like they are pretty friendly. Really it's the people that surround you that make all the difference. Have a great day. Talk to ya soon. Angie

The Wyatt's said...

Oh and I stole one of your pictures for my blog. I figured you wouldn't mind since we're in it. =)

She Loves To Make said...

Glad you guys made it safely! I can't wait to read more about the things you do there!

lindsi said...

Glad you made it safe and sound. The move kind of sounds like our first move to Phoenix - only we didn't have a GPS...now you can imagine what we went through. Hope all continues to go well for you guys! Where are you living exactly? Dallas? Andy has family down there.

Tarisa said...

Man alive this is an adventure! I am proud of the two of you and all your courage...I dont' think I would have been able to fight back the tears...you know me, they would have come out w/ some major force!

Devin and Kati said...

Dev and I are fixin to come see ya'll this summer! I hope you two are doing well. Hope you're liking your new job kate!

Mardi said...

Katie-

I hope things have gone well at work for your first week. I just keep thinking about y'all since I've sorta been in your shoes - and it wasn't easy for me. Maybe you are stronger than I am! :)

Anyway, we are going to a thing tomorrow night called "Music in the Park." It's just some local band that plays music for an hour or something in a park near by. You two are welcome to come with us. DON'T feel obligated - just let us know. It starts at 8:00 PM, we'll probably leave our house around 7:45 - and it's FREE, of course.