Thursday, September 22, 2011

To Be and To Do

I have been wanting to make a To Be/To Do list since last conference, and I figured that I'd better do it since conference is coming up next week (plus it's 4:40 am and I'm at work trying to stay awake!).

I've tried to keep my lists short, so that my goals are managable, and so I can add things as I get older.

To Do:
1) Get my master's degree (May 2012!)
2) Take Spanish classes and become certified as a spanish medical translator (This one I may not do for a while...I've sworn off school for a while once I graduate! But sometime before I die I will do this!)
3) Serve a full time mission
4) Go on a humanitarian/medical trip
5) Take piano, voice or violin lessons
6) Backpack the Grandcanyon (possibly summer 2012)
7) Visit Prince Edward Island (where Anne of Green Gables was filmed)
8) Run a 1/2 marathon after each child I have
9) Complete an olympic triathalon (1 mile swin, 6.2 mile run, 24.8 mile bike)
10) Memorize all 100 scripture mastery scriptures again
11) Read a lot of books from the Newbery Award List, My first thought was read all of them..but have you seen this list?
12) Early to bed and early to rise. Excercise 5 days a week. Completely consistant with family scripture study, family night, temple night and personal scripture study.
13) At least one "family activity" (I'm sounding more and more like my mom everyday!) every month. Something that is fun for all of us, that isn't work, so we can learn to have fun together.


To Be:
1) Be a mom who knows. (Click here to read more about this)
2) Create a house of order, prayer, fasting, faith, learning, and glory (D&C 109:8)
3) I want to have a good relationship with my kids as well as their friends. I had many friends parents who were great blessings in my life because they took time to talk to me and give me solid advice.
4) A selfless person
5) Always care more about people than things. Since living away from family I know what just a little phone call can do to lift someones spirits. I want to be someone who lives their life focused on helping others and lightening loads. If the choice ever comes down to people or things...I hope to always choose people. This includes making new friends, but also working at keeping the wonderful friends I have made through the years.
6) I want to be the most positive and optimistic person I know (this is a quote that my mom has hanging above our toilet at home...I read it hundreds of times growing up, and I think if everyone tried to be the most positive and optimistic person they knew, this world would be quite a perky place!)
7) Clark's best friend.
8) Bold, fearing God more than man.
9) A good listener...like my mom.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

If you can do half of all this I will be impressed. It is good to set goals they are more likely to be accomplished that way. I am impressed!

Amber and Mike said...

Oh, Katie! You are my inspiration! This is why I need you to move in right next door to me, again. I miss you tons. I'm so lucky to have a friend like you. Love you tons!!

Tarisa said...

Good job Kakey Cake! You've got 5 down on your to be list:) thanks for the call the other day. You lifted my spirits. I am WAY impressed with your 1/2. You are one talented gal.

Jessica Leigh said...

You are well on your way to meeting your goals! You are one of the most impressive women I know. Compassionate and kind. Seriously, do you realize how many times in my life I've thought "what would Katie say?/do?" No joke...I don't think you know how to put things before people... Love you, girly! Let me know when you'll be down and I'll steal you, Jessie and Kati away for a bit! ;) (and tender moment you mentioning moms... I love your mom, you love my mom... it's good :)

Carlee Ann said...

I love this! I just committed my Relief Society two Sundays ago to write down their "to be" list. Elder Robbins last conference talk gave me the idea.

Thanks for being such a great example!

Unknown said...

glad to see that some things never change. you are still the super fantastic kid that use to work for me...though maybe not so much the kid part anymore! :)