Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Of things that matter most.

I record this so that I can remember a tender mercy that I received.

Since Kyson has been born I have been trying to me a wife, mom, full-time nurse, part-time graduate student, Young Women's secretary, and still have time to be a somewhat decent friend, sister, daughter, etc.

Let's just say that it was rough. Clark was amazing. He did so much around the house to try to help take some of the load off me. But I was always going, going, going and felt that I had too much going on in my life to focus on the important things.

I went home for a school training conference and on Friday night talked/cried to my parents and told them that I was going to have to quite something because I couldn't do it all anymore.

Saturday we watched conference and Elder Uchtdorf gave an AMAZING talk about focusing on the things that matter most and the importance of slowing down when life gets crazy and making sure that our priorities are right...I'd recommend all reading it. http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-1298-7,00.html

I flew back to Texas determined. I marched into my bosses office Monday morning and told her that I needed a TDA position. (TDA is a position at my hospital that consists of working 2 of the 3 weekend nights, but still getting full benefits, tuition reimbursement and the pay is actually better than working 3 days of the week. I had asked my boss about it a couple weeks prior to this and she said she didn't have a TDA opening.)

So, I set up an interview with a manager of a women's unit that had a TDA opening and told my boss that I didn't want to leave our unit, but I absolutely had to be TDA for my family situation and that I had an interview lined up. She called me back 10 minutes later and said that they didn't want to lose me and that they would make room for me to go TDA.

What a blessing. Two weeks later I moved to TDA, yeah, the weekends and night shifts stink. But it means that I am home with Kyson all during the week. Clark is able to study more. I can get more of my school work done during his nap time. I still have one clinical day a week precepting with a nurse practitioner, but it is one day gone a week instead of four!

It reminded me that although sometimes I feel like I am in way over my head, the Lord prepares a way to do what he has asked us to do. I know that the prophets and apostles are inspired in what they teach us during General Conference and am grateful for the guidance we receive from our leaders.

6 comments:

Susan said...

Wow you are a busy lady! I can't imagine even doing school part time with a little one. . . she takes ups all my time. Are you doing an NP program, that is awesome. I have thought about that but would have to do it all online since we live in small town Idaho. Your little guy is adorable.

Debi said...

Wow. That's amazing Katie! I am so proud of you! I loved that talk too. Kyson is so blessed to have you as a mother.

Tarisa said...

Oh Katie...sandwiches always sandwiches...

jami wyatt said...

There have been a few times in my life when I have had to "simplify" and cut things out too. I am currently feeling overwhelmed right now as well (moving, just added to the list). I have told myself that next year the photography is going on the back burner. My family needs me to be with them, not the computer!! You and Clark need to move by us so we could babysit Kyson!! Dax said the other day, "Can we go on a trip, like to Texas". We might have to fit that into the schedule next year. Miss you guys! I just love Kyson's smile!!

She Loves To Make said...

This is so wonderful Katie! Congratulations on the new position. They would have been crazy to let you leave! Your little guy and Clark are lucky to have you.

Brenda said...

What fun to be with friends! I talked to one of my closest friends the other day and we can pick up right where we left off. I figure if you want to collect something it probably should be friends. I think out of all the talks in conference that was my favorite. Some how I just need to be reminded of what my priorities should be over and over again. Thank heavens for leaders who aren't afraid to set us straight. We are looking forward to seeing you guys! I have really been missing Kyson lately. We love you all Mom & Grandma Brenda