First...Sodium. Clark's blood pressure has been a little high lately and we have been trying to increase our exercise and decrease our salt intake to try to help with his blood pressure. Once we started looking at the salt we eat we were AMAZED at how much salt our food has in it. I am convinced that every America eats WAY to much salt. Try looking on the back of labels and recording all the sodium you eat in a day. It's incredible!
Here are some tips we have to offer for all of you who want to cut a little sodium out of your life:
1. Buy canned foods that say "Low Sodium", I can't tell a difference when I cook with them!

2. If possible buy canned vegetables that say "no added salt", they taste great and have SO much less sodium in them. If not possible, rinse your canned vegetables and beans with water before you use them.
3. Make things from scratch. Bisquick and other pre-made mixes have so much salt in them. Even cake mixes that seem sweet are really high in salt. I made home made wheat pancakes the other day and just left the salt totally out and they tasted great....which leads to our last tip...4. Cut the salt you bake with in half! We have been doing this for a couple weeks and everything we have made we have either cut the salt in half or left it completely out, and we haven't been able to tell.
Also, for lots of low sodium recipes go to http://www.mrsdash.com/recipes/
Okay, and for my second thoughts...pregnancy. My mom always said growing up that my eyes were bigger than my stomach. I would always fill my plate up with food, and then only eat half of what I had taken. Well, I'm happy to report to her that my stomach is now much bigger than my eyes.
At work the other day there was a doctor standing by the nurses station, I needed to get something from behind him and I looked and saw a space that I knew I could fit through. However, I failed to remember that I was pregnant and I ended up bumping him into the counter because I couldn't squeeze through. I don't know how many of you have had the same problem when you have been pregnant, but it takes a little getting used to!
7 comments:
Lots of good advice Clark & Katie. I'm glad you are getting a tummy on you it just has to happen before the baby comes! Sorry about the computer, Matt & Paige have had a broken computer too.
I Love you
I'm happy to cut our my salt, now if you had suggested to cut back on my pepper I wouldn't have been so willing! Katie I know exactly how you feel with the big tummy and I'm not even pregnant except for me it happens to be my tush. :)
Yeah, I remember doing silly things like that during pregnancy. I remember trying to pick something up on the ground, and had to squat down just to pick it up. Oh, and I accidently ran into the corner of the kitchen counter...that one hurt.
You're such a cute preggo girl! And you were so cute and skinny before I'm sure even a tiny baby bump would be an adjustment! Congrats again!
I like your salt advice. It is very true that Americans eat way too much salt. It's sad that it is added to almost everything canned, boxed and frozen at the grocery store. It is a big reason heart disease is such a big problem in our country. I'll have to try cutting down when I cook though. That I've never tried. Good advice. Your tummy story made me laugh! I can just imagine you bumping into a doctor. Too funny. And believe me I know just how you feel. Like last week trying to squeeze past people on the church bench with Jacob and a diaper bad in my hands was not so fun. And picking toys off the floor is getting near impossible. Sometimes it's easier to just get on my hands and knees and crawl around to clean up. Oh the joys of being pregnant!
I like your sodium advise too--especially since it's simple things you can do everyday! Thanks!
I'm so excited for your little boy to arrive! Love your bump story...too funny!
Post a Comment